Canada is undoubtedly one of the best travel destinations in the world. The country is renowned for its gorgeous scenery, enormous landscape, and unlimited growth opportunities among others. If you have just moved to Canada and you are looking for places to explore or things to do on a budget then we have got you covered. In this article, we would be showing you the 10 cheap and budget-friendly things to do in Canada.
10 Cheap Budget-Friendly Things to Do in Canada
Below are exciting things you can do in Canada without breaking the bank:
1. Visit Art Galleries and Museums
If you are a lover of art and you would love to explore, then this is a good option for you. Art galleries and museums give you an insight into the history of different cultures and most importantly showcase the history and culture of Canada. There are various art galleries and museums in Canada that have contemporary and historical paintings, sculptures, photographs, and artefacts among others. You’d get to see thousands of artworks from Canadian and international artists. Some of the renowned galleries and museums in Canada include:
- The Art Gallery of Ontario in Toronto, which has a collection of Canadian, American, European, African, and contemporary art.
- The Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto, which has works on natural history, world cultures, and art.
- The National Gallery of Canada in Ottawa, which has a collection of outstanding paintings, sculptures, and other works of art from Canada and other parts of the world.
- The Museum of Anthropology at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, which highlights the arts and cultures of people from around the world.
- The Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, which has a collection of international art, as well as special exhibitions and masterpieces.
2. Go on a Personal Tour
You may go on a self-guided tour of the town you reside in or even a nearby town. You could start by exploring local shops and stores, window shopping, engaging the locals in conversations to get more insight into the area etc. You may also rent a car and go on a road trip. This is a great way to explore Canada personally and visit new places. If you can’t afford to rent a car, then you can use public transportation to get around the city. This may be the best option as you would not have to worry about getting your hands on the wheel while you see different parts of the country. You can also use the help of a tour company as many of them offer self-guided options. However, it is advisable to plan your tour carefully before you start so you would have the best experience.
3. Go to the Beach
If you love the beach, then you can visit Canadian beaches and have fun. This is an exciting activity that you can do at little or no cost. Amazingly, Canada has several beautiful beaches, with a wide range of landscapes and environments. Depending on the season and where you stay, there are several activities that you can enjoy at the beach. You can swim in Canada’s clear and blue water, relax and soak up the sun, build sand castles, looks for seashells, watch the waves, birds or stars, and have a picnic among others. Some of the beaches in Canada are:
- Parlee Beach, which is situated in New Brunswick and is known for its warm water and stunning dunes.
- Kelowna Beach, which is situated in British Columbia and is known for its clear, blue water.
- Wasaga Beach, which is situated on the shores of Georgian Bay in Ontario, this beach and is known for its sand and warm water.
- Bickerdike Beach, which is found in Nova Scotia and is known for its beautiful sandstone cliffs and clear, warm water.
- Cavendish Beach, which is on Prince Edward Island and is known for its red sand and fine views.
4. Visit a Library
If you are a lover of books or you just have a knack for reading, then this is a good option for you. The library is a good place to stimulate your brain and have a great time at little or no cost. You can borrow books of your choice, and use the computer, among others. This is also a good way to network with people as you can attend library events, book clubs, lectures etc. You can also ask a library attendant to take you on a tour, so, you would be able to learn about the history and architecture of the library. Canada has several libraries and some of them include The Toronto Reference Library, The Vancouver Public Library, The Edmonton Public Library etc. Most of these libraries are known for their amazing architecture and a large collection of books and other materials.
5. Go to a Restaurant
Are you a lover of food or do you just have a sweet tooth? Then you can check out the restaurants in Canada. Although many restaurants may be expensive, there are still some restaurants that provide meals at affordable rates. You can check out fast food chains such as KFC, McDonald’s etc, and street vendors among others. Also, some grocery stores sell already-made foods which are quite cheap. You may also enjoy ethnic meals such as Chinese, Korean, Thai etc. To spice things up, you can try a new cuisine, eat out with family and friends, share a variety of dishes, or attend events. Whether you are staying in a major city, smaller town or rural area in Canada, you would still find a budget-friendly restaurant that meets your taste!
6. Try Hiking
Canada has several opportunities for hikers as it has some of the most beautiful hiking trails. So, you can explore the outdoors and plan a hiking trip alone or with friends. Before you go on a hiking trip, be sure to plan your trip by choosing a great destination, packing the right hiking gear, checking the weather forecast, and most importantly staying safe! Hiking can be a fun and enjoyable activity if you:
- Know yourself and choose a hike that matches your interests and capabilities.
- Pack some things to drink and snack on. Remember you need lots of water!
- Take things slowly and enjoy every moment of the hike.
- Take lots of pictures to save the memories you make.
- Hike with friends and family members etc.
7. Go on a Safari
This is another budget-friendly thing to do in Canada. You can go on a safari adventure and explore Canada’s wildlife safely. The good thing is that Canada is home to various wildlife species and the most stunning landscapes ever seen in the world. If you’d love to see wildlife in their natural habitat, then you can visit Churchill which is popularly referred to as the home of Polar bears, Parc Safari which is one of the most famous amusement parks in Canada, Safari Niagara which is a privately owned nature park and about 10 minutes away from the Niagara Falls, African Lion Safari park which is one of the best places to go on a lion safari among many other places. However, there are some things that you need to note when planning a safari. These include:
- Select the best location: You can do this by making your research on the kind of safari adventure you want to go for. If you want to go on a lion adventure, then African Lion Safari park may be the best for you. You may also want to pick a location that is close to your place of residence.
- Pack with the weather in mind: It is well known that Canada can be extremely cold so you should pack for the weather. You should wear appropriate clothing which may include warm clothes, face caps, boots etc.
- Obey instructions: Know that your guide knows the park better than you do so it is best to obey them. You should also respect the wildlife and not disturb them or worse, make them angry.
- Be safety conscious: Safety is a priority when on a safari adventure. Hence, it is advisable to follow all instructions given and be aware of any potential hazards as you go.
8. Attend Festivals and Events
Attending festivals and cultural events is yet another way to have fun in Canada on a budget while having insight into the culture and lifestyle of Canadians. Fortunately, there are several festivals that occur throughout the year ranging from film to music festivals to food to sporting and cultural events. Some of the most famous Canadian festivals and events include the Toronto International Film Festival which is one of the largest film festivals in the world and takes place in Toronto every year in September, the Montreal Jazz Festival which is the largest jazz festival in the world, and takes place in Montreal in late June/early July yearly (this is a good option for jazz lovers), the Quebec Winter Carnival which is a large winter festival that takes place in Quebec City in February yearly, the Halifax Pop Explosion which is a music festival that takes place in Halifax in October every year, the Calgary Stampede which is a large rodeo and agricultural fair that takes place in Calgary in July every year among many others. Here are a few things to keep in mind when attending festivals and events in Canada:
- Plan and select the festival or event you wish to attend.
- Wear clothing which would allow you to move around easily.
- Ensure you stay hydrated as festivals are held outdoors and you can be dehydrated easily.
- If you are tired at any time, find a spot to relax. Festivals can be exhausting!
- Take pictures to keep the memories.
- Your safety is a priority so ensure you and your belongings are safe throughout the event.
9. See a Movie at the Cinema
Going to the cinema is another way to have fun in Canada on a budget. You shouldn’t Netflix and chill every time, it is more exciting to go out with friends or alone to the cinema (although, this may depend on your personality type). Canada has great cinema houses and you are sure to have an exciting movie experience. You can check out the cinemas in your city, join a film club, or host a movie night at home and have your friends over. Here are some tips to help you enjoy your time at the cinema:
- Choose a movie you’d enjoy. For instance, if you like fantasy movies, then choose a movie in that line. Other genres include adventure, crime, romance, comedy etc.
- Try to get to the cinema early so you’d have time to choose a good seat, get popcorn and drinks and use the restroom before the movie starts.
- You can bring your snacks and drinks to cut your costs at the cinema. However, some cinemas do not allow people to bring food from outside, so, ensure you confirm with them before doing so.
- You can turn off your phone so that you can enjoy the movie without distractions.
10. Go to Relaxation Spots
Seeking to relax your mind and escape all the daily stress while having fun on a budget? Then you can check out relaxation spots in Canada. Amazingly, Canada is one of the best places to relax as it is peaceful and beautiful. Some of the best relaxation spots include the Laurentians in Quebec which has beautiful lakes and forests and is a great place to go on hiking, cycling or just to relax, the Muskoka Lakes which is located in Ontario and is a good place for vacations, Banff National Park which is the home of hot springs, blue lakes, and is great for fishing, hiking, sightseeing, the Cabot Trail which is located on Cape Breton Island in Nova Scotia among others.
Canada is a friendly and welcoming country and there are a lot of exciting opportunities to enjoy yourself no matter where you are in the country. From the Niagara Falls in Ontario to the Banff National Park in Alberta, Canada is indeed one of the most popular tourist destinations. However, if you are not careful, all these activities may drill a hole in your pocket. Fortunately, we have shown you 10 ways you can have fun in Canada without breaking the bank and we are sure this post has been of tremendous help to you.